A Sense of Family
Volunteers play an integral role in providing a sense of family here at Dismas. The care and support from colleges, churches, corporations, and the broader community create a family network for our residents. They rely on that network for acceptance, re-engagement with a varied social network, encouragement with life skills development, and relational skills.
We count on our volunteers to:
- Set an example of how to live a healthy, productive life as an active member of society
- Bring a caring and positive spirit to the house
Want to join the Dismas Family?Start Volunteer Application
Monday – Thursday, Dinner at 6pm
Community members and returning citizens come together by breaking bread. Volunteers plan the menu and shop in advance, then arrive by 5:30 pm to prepare a meal in our kitchen. This powerful act of fellowship builds a support system that empowers change and relationships that last a lifetime.
Our mentorship program matches members of the community with one of our residents in an attempt to create a relationship that provides support in a variety of ways. Mentors have the opportunity to help our residents with connections, life coaching, goal setting, career support, spiritual guidance or by just being available to talk. Our resident tutors can also assist those who are pursuing education prepare for the HiSET exam or college assignments. Mentorship training is offered monthly.
In Office Assistants
- We need office volunteers with skills in the following areas:
Clerical—Volunteers will assist Dismas office staff with filing, data entry, and correspondence needs.
- Development—Volunteers will send out donor acknowledgements, thank-you cards, and pledge statements. Other responsibilities include sending quarterly programming updates and event invitations and updating donor contacts.
- Additionally, we may have need for a facilities volunteer.
Front Desk Admin
- Be a friendly face for visitors to Dismas House while completing light clerical work including:
- Filing, shredding, scanning or copying, making follow up phone calls, assisting with mail out campaigns, complete simple office tasks on the computer, compile research, and sorting & organizing in-kind donations.
Our committees to offer specialized skills and talents to support our residents and advance our mission. If you are experienced in one of these areas, we’d love to hear from you!
- Capital Campaign
- Development Committee
- Finance Committee
- Government Relations Committee
- HR/Governance Committee
- Marketing and Communications Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Operations Committee
- Program Committee